At Colstoun we have a few classic recipes that we return to time and time again, one of those recipes is our Chocolate Shortbread Buttons, they are an absolute winner and will disapear as fast as you can make them.
Throughout December & January we entertain a lot of guests, and these chocolate shortbread buttons are a perfect addition to afternoon tea, something sweet after dinner, or just as a snack throughout the day with a good cup of quality coffee, we recommend Steampunk Coffee's Fazenda Pantano Coffee from Brazil.
Recipe: (makes 40 biscuits)
150g plain flour (we use mungoswells flour)
100g cold butter
50g caster sugar
1 1/2 tbsp high quality fair trade cocoa.
• Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
• Sieve the flour and cocoa into a large bowl.
• Add the sugar and mix together.
• Grate the cold butter into the flour mixture and rub it in until it forms coarse breadcrumbs.
• Gently bring all the ingredients together to form a dough, don't overwork it, it may seem dry but it will come together.
• Chill the dough for 30 minutes and then roll out to the thickness of a £1 coin.
• Using a 40mm cutter, cut out the circles and using a 30mm mark an inner circle, to make the button holes, press out two holes using a straw.
• Place an baking parchment on a baking sheet and bake at 150 degrees for 25 minutes.
• Allow to cool on a cooling rack
If you use this recipe we would love to see the results! Post them below! or on facebook or instagram #colstoun
From the Colstoun Team.